We caught up with Audix endorser, saxophone player Ronald James, before his EurAsia tour this spring. Based in Atlanta, Georgia, Ronald has been playing saxophone professionally for more than 10 years. He is a player who truly lets you feel what he plays, an arranger for various artists, and a writer of melodic music. We talked with him about how he started his career, and how he started using Audix.
1. How did you get your start as an artist?
I had been playing saxophone for some years already, but never thought of myself as an artist. I had a conversation with a friend about the original tunes I had written, the people I was playing with and for, and the down time we had. A couple months later, my first album "I Feel Ya" was born! Thanks, Derrioux Edgecomb, for the convo!
2. How did you hear about Audix?
I heard about Audix from two Audix artists, [drummers] Quinton "Q" Robinson and Jorel "JFly" Flynn.
3. What Audix microphones are you using currently? For what applications?
I'm using an ADX-20i for live applications as well as for some recording situations.
4. What was the impetus for switching from the microphones you were using previously?
The audio quality of the Audix microphones are cleaner and more responsive than most.
5. Any noticeable results?
I immediately noticed less need for EQ and compression of the microphone. It sounds good straight through the line.
6. What are your favorite features of the microphones you're using?
The fact that I can remove the included preamp and connect to a wireless pack is awesome!
7. Have the Audix microphones helped solve any particular challenges for you?
I no longer need to carry around a wired and wireless mic. It's an all-in-one.